Exactly one year after publishing our first “Best Time to Send Email” infographic, we bring you an extended update with exciting additional email data and benchmarks. Our goal was to identify the best tactics for sending emails and provide guideposts to help you deploy the best strategies for your brand.
[Update January 2018]: If you’re looking for fresh data and statistics, check out the all new Email Marketing Benchmarks report.
We analyzed over 300 million messages to determine the top times for open and click through rates. We also analyzed autoresponder email sequences to measure client engagement over time.
As a first step, we developed a series of questions to answer during our inquiry. Here’s a partial list:
- What are the most useful email benchmarks?
- What results can you expect from email marketing?
- When is the best time for maximum customer engagement?
- What is an average lifespan of an email message?
- How can you automate email marketing for better results?
The answers revealed helpful information you can use immediately.
- Our large dataset yielded these email benchmarks: Average Email Open Rate 18.58%, Average CTR 4.51%.
- The business quarter with the most activity is Q4, with almost a third of the emails being sent during this time.
- Tuesday is the most popular day for sending emails.
- Tuesday emailings also have the highest Open Rate and CTR.
- Most email Opens occur during the first hour after delivery; after 24 hours an email’s chance of being opened drops below 1%.
- Automated emails have 24% higher Open Rate and 47% higher CTR.
- Welcome messages and confirmation emails can reach an amazing 67% Open Rate and 33% CTR.
- Autoresponder cycles with 2-10 messages have the best results, so optimizing the length of email cycles is an important factor driving customer engagement.
Your best source for data
The data-points in the infographic are guideposts. But remember that the best data you can get is your own metrics. So compare your specific results to our general findings.
And do let us know what times work best for you.